We believe you could be the winner of an automated milking or feeding system from Lely! The Way to Dairy Award was created to recognize the best and the brightest producers in the dairy industry and give them the best automation. The grand prize winner will be able to select between their choice of a Lely Astronaut automatic milking system or a Lely Vector automatic feeding system.
To win this exciting new award, you will need to submit following items:
- One fully completed application form
- One 500-700 word essay that answers the question “How does your dairy farm feed a growing global population while being a sustainable and profitable enterprise that contributes to your local community?”
- Two letters of recommendation
- Up to three photos of your farming operation
It may have been awhile since you've written an essay, but don't worry. We enjoy providing the tools dairy producers need to experience success, so we will do the same for this contest. Below, find some tips for writing an award-winning essay.
- Be prepared. Read the full contest rules so you have a good grasp on what we will be looking for in qualified candidates.
- Think before you write. Brainstorm an answer to the question “How does your dairy farm feed a growing global population while being a sustainable and profitable enterprise that contributes to your local community?”
- Be original. The first line should grab the judges’ attention and make your essay stand out from the crowd.
- Write and review. Write the first draft and let it sit for a few days before you go back over it. Proofread carefully for any spelling and grammar mistakes. Even better, let someone else read it to offer suggestions or edits that you may have missed.
- Make it look good. Make sure your essay is neatly typed and that there is white space on the page. Double-space the essay and provide adequate margins.
- Read the essay contest rules one last time. Double-check to make sure you haven’t overlooked anything that needs to be addressed in the essay. Make a checklist of all the essay requirements and go through them, point-by-point, to make sure you’ve hit them all.
- Submit your application on time. The application deadline for The Way to Dairy Award is June 30, 2018. Waiting until the last minute is never a good idea and things like technological glitches could knock you out of the running. You can request your application at www.thewaytodairyaward.com and a link to the full application and instructions will be sent to the email address provided.
A panel of judges will assess eligible submissions, with the following criteria being weighted equally: originality, quality of writing, organization, professionalism and adherence to theme. If there would happen to be a tie, the highest score on “adherence to theme” will be used as a tiebreaker.
We believe the best farmers deserve the best automation. We define that as being the farmer who best demonstrates and lives by the standards of using sustainability and innovation to create a profitable and enjoyable future in the agricultural sector, while being an animal care advocate and is involved in the dairy industry. Show us why that’s you!